stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1GeneralFuture of this project
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
[DPC]Pconfig
2005-01-07 11:16:05
Hey,

i was reading threw the FAQ and i was wondering if this info is still correct

How long do you expect this project to run?  There are many options to be evaluated and optimised for this part of the design - it is quite an active area of research, so I could see this program being run in various forms until 2005 or beyond.  There may however be pauses while either I modify the code or I'm waiting for someone else to tell me about a new design option.

Until 2005 or beyond.  Now we are in 2005 and what are we telling now.  How long is it still going to last?

Grtz
Pconfig
K`Tetch
2005-01-10 13:35:58
Well, chicanelinacB90 has been going less than 2 months.

Personally, i expect the clients to be updated, and new lattices added for a while yet.  Stephen has also mentioned something about a Version 5 at various times in the past, and thats his biggest aim right now.
Stephen Brooks
2005-01-11 02:42:30
I have various "bits" to do before version 5 as I see it will be ready.  I've just successfully got a pion dataset for 6GeV protons (and other energies) instead of the 2.2 we were using before.  It seems that 30GeV is actually one of the best energies to use now, and this is also feeding into work that other people are doing working on the proton end of the accelerator.  It turns out that 2.2GeV (CERN's suggested energy) actually gives a rather nasty pion distribution, with many going sideways or backwards.  As you go up in energy, it gets more focussed, which could give us a really large increase in transmission.
Nexus de Free-DC
2005-01-22 00:55:03
So does that mean, if 2.2GeV turns out to be a bad energy to use, that all the crunching done to date has been "wasted"?  Or will the work done on lower energies help in understanding what'll happen at higher energies?
[TA]JonB
2005-01-22 11:22:17
My non-particle scientist guess would be that the better focused 30GeV cloud of Pions will move quite nicely down the already tuned SolenoidsTo15cm path we've optimized, make the turn into the Chicane and be ready to phaserotate.
HaloJones
2005-01-24 05:31:34
quote:
Originally posted by [TA]JonB:
My non-particle scientist guess would be that the better focused 30GeV cloud of Pions will move quite nicely down the already tuned SolenoidsTo15cm path we've optimized, make the turn into the Chicane and be ready to phaserotate. 

Is that right into the chicane or left into the chicane?  Clockwise or anti-clockwise in the phaserotate?  I think we should be told!
kitsura
2005-01-24 23:45:20
quote:
Originally posted by [TA]JonB:

If memory serves, PhaseRotate is part of another design and not linked to the chicane at all.
[TA]JonB
2005-01-26 04:10:35
I put my cart before the horse, I suppose.  One of the explanatory powerpoint slides shows the RF Phase Rotation right after the Solenoid Decay channel.  Other Powerpoints make it look like the Solenoid Channel feeds directly into the Chicane.  (to the right, if observed from above Smile )

The RF phase rotation is to control the bunching of the Muon cloud, so it may be applied while within the Chicane and/or the solenoid channel.  The powerpoint(s) don't seem too conclusive.
Stephen Brooks
2005-01-26 08:26:30
There are two designs:
Decay Channel - Chicane - Linac
and
Decay Channel - Phase Rotation [ - Cooling Ring]
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25162960 accesses.