stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1Generalv5
Username: Password:
Page 1
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
RGtx
2010-07-15 01:20:20
Whatever happened to v5? 
(If I remember correctly, you somewhere posted a graphic of the proposed cooling ring).
Stephen Brooks
2010-07-15 11:05:44
Other projects in Muon1 are possible but that particular cooling ring I don't think would have worked.  I did some tests of it and eventually found the beam would not go around through the fieldmaps stably.

Updates to the client are at least six months away.  The examiners have accepted my thesis (good news) but want more, fairly substantial, corrections done to it first (bad news).  They will take a month or more.  I've got a conference (HB2010) at the end of September for which I'm designing an accelerator - actually part of a proton accelerator with possible applications to the neutrino factory, so before the section Muon1 simulates.

Those two things put me in October before I can think straight about Muon1. I need to compile a new build, test the results and hopefully get some of you to do some beta testing and benchmarking.  For some reason people have complained that newer builds are slower than the older ones and I want to figure that out.  Also possible is converting the code to compile with Dev-C++ (a MinGW port of gcc) rather than LCC.  So it'll take a while until I can just get back to releasing a stable working version (by end of 2010 hopefully).

From there, it starts to get more interesting.  It would be good to update the solenoid field function to allow more different coil geometries (and also simulate/optimise the "baseline" official design, which has overlapping solenoids in places).  The optimiser has been getting "fairly good" results, but it seems to often get stuck or not progress as much as I would have expected from similar lattices - I'm wondering if I need to do something to discourage it from getting stuck too quickly in one place, which might entail a rather different algorithm.
Stephen Brooks
2010-09-24 17:07:55
Update— The examiners have accepted my thesis and I've just finished the HB 2010 paper and poster.  All this happened more-or-less on the same day!  I'll be in Switzerland from the 26th until October 1st.

The new reports can be found here. My time estimate for client updates remains where it is (so ~4 months now).
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25423177 accesses.